Sim4Life Release V3.2
After a year of setting up the necessary software infrastructure to develop the most advanced optimizers, ZMT is proud to announce the release of a preview version of the Sweeper. Exploit the possibilities right away! We also added important new features based on users requests, such as adaptive sub-gridding and special tools for the automated analysis of implants, as well as the design and analysis of 5G and of other wireless transmitters. Together with our research partners we are developing tools for electroceuticals/bioelectric therapies, some of which are also already part of this release.
Sim4Life V3.2 includes many novel features and improvements but also bug fixes, making your simulations once again even more effective. Feedback, as always, is greatly welcomed!
New Important Features to Increase Productivity
NOVEL PARAMETRIZATION & SWEEPING ENGINE - STRIVING FOR THE BEST OPTIMIZER
- Acting as a foundation of the forthcoming multi-parameter multi-goal optimizer (release in Q2/2017), Sim4Life 3.2 already introduces a novel simulation engine capable of performing all the tasks related to a given project (model generation, simulation, and analysis) in an independent environment. This allows parameterization with maximal robustness, flexibility and memory efficiency, as well as execution across platforms and networks.
- The novel sweeper engine opens the door to full automation of complex workflows, with parallel or sequential execution of modeling, simulation and post-processing tasks - introducing a new paradigm that brings productivity to unprecedented levels.
- Simulation projects can be fully parametrized using variables and mathematical expressions throughout the framework (modeling, simulation, analysis).
- Fully configurable parameter sweeps are done in a top-down fashion, allowing the user to focus on how the analysis should be done, while delegating the number crunching and data management to the background engine.
- View demo video
EM FDTD - ADAPTIVE SUBGRIDDING
- Sim4Life V3.2 features a unique and new Adaptive Subgridding algorithm (w/ Acceleware) which - in a fully automated manner - places an optimum arrangement of individual subgrids around any solid/mesh/CAD model, allowing for highest effectiveness in local mesh refinement.
- The GPU empowered Adaptive Subgridding enables drastically reduced computational resources (time, memory) for non-conformally aligned or thin structures, leading to savings of orders of magnitude.
- Using sophisticated CAD structure-aware algorithms, the user can leave the duty of placing a sequence of subgrids to the new algorithm while preserving the accuracy of the method.
- View demo video
COMPUTABLE PHANTOMS NOVELTIES
- In Sim4Life V3.2, various novel surface mesh related modeling tools have been added. The mesh doctor allows repairing and reconstructing surface meshes in a fully automated and robust manner.
- The release will be followed by a range of morphed ViP models, for studies interested in the impact of anatomical variations (e.g., of BMI). Also, two new posable mice (3 and 12 weeks old) models will be released by our partner, the IT’IS Foundation, in February 2017.
New & Important Application-Specific Features
NEW, POWERFUL 5G SIMULATION TOOLBOX
- Sim4Life V3.2 provides users with a unique and powerful toolbox to optimize and assess the performance of 5G solutions and demonstrate their compliance to international standards.
- New modeling tools help create CAD-models of complete phased arrays with a few mouse clicks and, thanks to innovative background logic, setting up FDTD simulations of phased arrays is now as simple as a drag-and-drop operation. Predefined phase/amplitude excitation patterns (e.g., Chebycheff weights) can be applied, making it easy to simulate phased array operating in various conditions.
- For frequencies between 3 - 300GHz, compliance to the IEEE C95.1a standard can be assessed using a novel Surface-Averaged Power Density evaluator.
- Furthermore, compatibility with state-of-the-art network design packages (AWR, Optenni, etc.) is empowered.
NEURONAL DYNAMICS SIMULATION NOVELTIES
- Sim4Life V3.2 provides additional tools developed for key partners to investigate neuronal dynamics in the complex anatomy.
- Utilization of synaptic contacts to model neural networks and network noise.
- Support for stimulation by multiple fields with differing associated pulse-shapes (e.g., to investigate realistic MRI sequences with multiple coils, or the novel temporal interference stimulation paradigm).
- Inclusion of a new axonal dynamics model (Sweeney) which has been successfully employed to study spinal cord stimulation selectivity.
- Coupling to the unstructured mesh FEM low-frequency EM solver.
- Functionality to speed-up and smoothen the handling of setups involving large numbers of neurons, including parallelization of simulation execution.
- Many more features will be added in the next weeks and our academic partners are interested in finding companies to perform joint pilot studies.
NEW MR SAFE IMPLANTS TOOLS (Preview, Demo on Request)
- IMAnalytics will soon be released, allowing to analyze millions of exposure conditions resulting from the different MRI technologies across the entire range of the patient population within hours instead of months. It automatically combines the PiX-derived implant model, your implant trajectories (as defined, e.g., using the IMSAFE tool in Sim4Life), and the pre-computed induced field libraries MRxViP64 and MRxViP128 to determine the statistical distribution of power deposition or temperature increase.
- Ask for a demo of IMAnalytics that will become available in Q1/2017.
MUSAIK V2.0 Final
- MUSAIK V2.0 is a completely redesigned version of its predecessor and is now fully integrated in Sim4Life V3.2 with smooth data communication and a revamped, powerful user interface, using the latest d3.js technologies, used in html5.
- With MUSAIK V2.0, quantitative analysis of Rx coil arrays enables in-situ performance evaluation, design optimization, QA, and optimization of the imaging protocol for accelerated parallel imaging.
Improvements by User Requests (Selected)
FRAMEWORK & HPC
- Various productivity and framework enhancements (e.g., direct movie export for animated viewers, important Python scripting extensions, orbit & pane modes, and voxel view enhancements) facilitate the use of Sim4Life.
- Sim4Life V3.2 now fully supports the latest NVIDIA Pascal architecture for their Tesla and GTX/Titan series GPUs, allowing for e.g. simulation speeds of 20 GCells/s on a 8x TitanX system (CUDA & AXE solvers).
- To provide faster simulation times and with a focus on WPT applications, significant speed improvements (MPI based) have been realized in the LF-MQS solver in Sim4Life V3.2.
- The new Sim4Life V3.2 release provides smoother workflows for simulations and analyses with anatomical models, including the requested moving/transforming of posable ViP models, assigning tissue material properties or grid settings, and improved control of visibility of image planes for DICOM images. Sim4Life V3.2 comes with version 3.1.1 of the IT’IS material database, which includes an updated low frequency conductivity database allowing a straight-forward setup of LF simulations.
- A new import capability in V3.2 enables direct import of SPEAG's DASY6 measurement data into Sim4Life, allowing for full data processing/analysis in the postprocessor pipeline, e.g., for validation-related comparison of simulation and measurement data.
A more comprehensive list of improvements, fixes, and new features is included in the Release Notes.
If you are interested in experiencing the power and elegance of Sim4Life V3.2 or require further information, please email us at email@example.com or call us at +41 44 245 9765.
The relevant Sim4Life installers for Win7/Win8/8.1/Win10 64-bit platforms can be downloaded. For existing customers with an up-to-date annual maintenance and support plan, all pertinent information regarding the Software Installer Download and updated licenses will, of course, be individually provided.
At ZMT we are committed to provide our customers with the most innovative software solutions, testing equipment, and support.
The Sim4Life Team
Novel Parameter Sweep engine in Sim4Life V3.2: Fully automated multi-parameter sweep and analysis of an industrial CAD phone-OTA configuration (1000s of CAD parts).
Novel, unique Adaptive Subgridding (w/ Acceleware) in V3.2: Fully automatic CAD/mesh structure-aware subgrid placement allows for resource savings (simulation time, memory) of orders of magnitude (subgridded [blue] integrated antenna in fitness tracker mounted on ViP computable phantom).
Powerful new 5G simulation toolbox in V3.2: Design, optimization and analysis of a quasi-Yagi phased array embedded within an MTE structure (placement, phase/amplitude excitation patterns, feeding, compliance).
Spinal cord stimulation fiber recruitment and stimulation selectivity analyses in Sim4Life V3.2: Coupled electromagnetic-neuronal dynamics modeling, featuring for example the new Sweeney axon models, to assess and develop implantable neurostimulator devices and neurostimulation protocols. Setup featuring large numbers of axonal and whole-cell models (e.g., within the ViP V3.1 spinal cord structures) have been used to assess and optimize the selectivity and targeting of specific dermatomal zones and to control neuromotoric responses.
Accelerating comprehensive implant evaluation from weeks to hours: The novel evaluation tool IMANALYTICS greatly empowers demonstrating MRI safety of implants.
ViP 'Ella' V3.1 morphed from a BMI of 21.6 (left) to a BMI of 28 (right): Recent advances in morphing and posing extend the ViP parameterization to different body shapes/sizes/BMI, thus increasing population coverage and allowing studies of the relationship between body shape/size and field distributions/dosimetry (IT'IS).
New MUSAIK-S: Smoothly integrated in Sim4Life V3.2, with enhanced features, seamless data communication, and a completely redesigned GUI using the latest d3.js technologies.